U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

The .gov means it’s official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you’re on a federal government site.


The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Help With The Form 5500-EZ

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) developed the Form 5500-EZ, Annual Return of A One-Participant (Owners/Partners and Their Spouses) Retirement Plan or A Foreign Plan. Form 5500-EZ is used by one-participant plans and foreign plans to satisfy annual reporting requirements under the Internal Revenue Code.

Beginning January 1, 2021, the Form 5500-SF must no longer be used to electronically file “one-participant” plan or foreign plan annual returns. Employers who sponsor one-participant plans or foreign plans must file Form 5500-EZ electronically using the Department of Labor’s EFAST2 filing system. Only employers not subject to the IRS e-filing requirements under Treas. Reg. 301.6058-2 may file paper Form 5500-EZ with the IRS.

The Form 5500 Version Selection tool can help determine if you are eligible to file the Form 5500-EZ.

Beginning January 1, 2021, the Form 5500-EZ can be filed electronically using certain EFAST2-approved third-party software or using this website’s IFILE tool. The Form 5500 Series Quick Start Guide provides an overview of how to file. For more detailed information on how to file, see the EFAST2 FAQs and other publications.

Instructions and forms for the Form 5500-EZ are maintained by IRS.

You must generally file the return on the last day of the seventh month after your plan year ends (July 31 for a calendar-year plan). Extensions for up to 2½ months may be requested in advance by filing the Form 5558 with the IRS. The IRS may announce special extensions of time for filers affected by Presidentially-declared disasters or who are serving in a combat zone.

If you are applying for IRS’ Penalty Relief Program for Form 5500-EZ Late Filers, you must file a paper Form 5500-EZ and Form 14704 with the IRS. A Form 5500-EZ filer is not eligible for penalty relief under the Department of Labor’s Delinquent Filer Voluntary Compliance Program (DFVCP).

See frequently asked questions for more information about the penalty relief programs for delinquent Form 5500-EZ returns.

If you are filing an amended return for a one-participant plan or a foreign plan to correct errors or omissions, please see EFAST2 FAQs 4b how to submit amended Form 5500-EZ return.

Copies of submitted Form 5500-EZ filings may be requested by filing the Form 4506 with the IRS.